Thursday, April 2, 2015

A date with Thereasea Elder

Earlier this year, Mrs. Thereasea C. Elder took the time to share some of her story and what inspired her to become a Brookstone supporter. Below are Michelle Tipton’s notes from that visit...

I arrived at the home of Mrs. Thereasea Elder, a dignified 87 year-old, on a cold foggy morning. She told me to come as early as I wanted because she's woken up at 5 am since World War II. As we walked into her front parlor, she mentioned that the room has been the same since 1968. I knew she was special right then. No pretense, only honesty.


When I asked her why she got involved with Brookstone, she shared memories of her first visit to the school. She saw a community of people who care so much about the children, and she witnessed teachers who invested beyond the curriculum into building relationships with the whole family. Brookstone made an impact on Thereasea years ago and has been a grateful recipient of her support ever since.


What a privilege to sit with a community leader who is leaving a legacy bigger than herself. From teen pregnancy to education, Thereasea’s efforts positively impact Charlotte in big ways, and she thanks God for it all. Before leaving, I asked how her faith has encouraged her in these roles. She closed her eyes, held one hand up toward Heaven and the other over her heart. With misty eyes, she shared her favorite verse—John 3:16: “I do believe. I do believe. For God so loved me...and you.”