Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Reaching high places

This post is contributed by Lynn Purdum, Advancement Advisory Board member. Just as the kids at Brookstone are accomplishing goals, so are our leadership! 


This summer my family and I took a trip to Africa. Part of the trip included climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. Mt. Kilimanjaro is the highest free standing mountain in the world and Africa’s tallest mountain. Kili, as it is affectionately called by the people who climb it, is 19,341 feet tall.


We began the climb on Saturday July 5, 2014, however, the moment we committed to climbing Kilimanjaro is when the climb began for us. This was my husband’s ultimate bucket list item and for some reason my son, daughter and I agreed to join him on this adventure. Though climbing Kilimanjaro is considered a “walk” with no mountain climbing gear such as crampons, picks or ropes required, we needed a lot of gear. There was much planning involved. We began purchasing equipment 7 months in advance. The hiking company had detailed recommendations of what we would need. Though I complained about the quantities and sometimes absurdities of the items we purchased, we needed and used everything that was recommended. The weather on top of the mountain ranges from -5 degrees to -45 degrees Fahrenheit. You must plan on all types of weather as you are in the elements for 8 days and you walk through 5 climates zones.


But more than all the many details required was the physical and mental preparation needed. We hiked, walked, and I lifted weights and took spin classes to prepare. My husband and daughter walked on a treadmill that could be elevated up to a 40 degree incline. Several days prior to the hike I started drinking 60 ounces of water daily to stay hydrated, as was recommended. Mentally you have to know you can accomplish this goal. 


Preparation and the knowledge that you can accomplish a goal are necessary for success. This is not something I did on my own.  I prayed for safety and preparedness not necessarily for success. Without my family and the guides who strongly encouraged us, we couldn’t have made it. Three quarters of the way up the summit, I wanted to quit, but the guides kept me going. They were with us all the way. They believed in us. They carried our day bag when it became too burdensome, and they stopped and rested with us but also cajoled us to keep going. They told us we could do it. At one point when I was so exhausted it took all I had to put one foot in front of the other, my guide Musa, broke off pieces of my energy bar and fed me like a baby, one piece at a time.


We set a goal, researched, learned about the difficulties and what we would need, read books other climbers had written, hired a great company to lead us, prayed and prepared physically and mentally. It was no different than achieving any goal in life. It requires hard work and determination and this was by far the hardest thing I had ever done. This was a trip of a lifetime and one I will always remember with a great deal of satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment. Now I’m curious as to what the other items are on my husband’s bucket list. No telling where he may lead us next.

Happy Trails, Lynn Purdum